Sunday

Thoughts on Motherhood

Ok mommies.....when people find out you are a stay at home mom, do you ever get the question...."Oh so what do you do all day?"  I just happen to hate that question!

So you may be thinking..WHY .... what is the big deal?  Well I hate it because I shouldn't have to list everything I do all day.  I don't ask the hair stylist what she does all day or the project manager what his day entails.  Sometimes it feels like I am being put on the spot and having to prove that I am not some lazy mom who is too afraid or unmotivated to get a "real job."

I will admit there have been times where I have met successful people my own age who have cool jobs and felt a little embarrassed telling them I am just a stay at home mom.  I feel like I have to add something else like.."well  I also coach high school basketball or I have my degree in teaching"...like it will help make me seem a little more accomplished.   I once met an older man at a convention for Matt's work and when I told him I was just a stay at home mom he looked at me and said, "just...just a stay at home mom?"  He continued to say, "Do not use "just" with your role as a mother.  Motherhood is one of the most important jobs and callings there is."

I have not always felt comfortable playing the role of a mother.  In my earlier twenties I honestly felt too young to be a mother and felt like I was not ready for this job.  I thought I was ruining my children and that I should have never been entrusted with these little free spirits   I was too imperfect and constantly making mistakes.

But thankfully with life there is growth and I have been able to grow  into my calling of motherhood.  I love being a mother and I love staying home with my kiddos   Not everyday is perfect and I make mistakes all the time but I have learned that my children are resilient and strong.  I was born to be a mom, I truly feel like it is my calling and purpose...as cheesy as that sounds and I am no longer embarrassed to tell people that I am just a stay at home mom.  I feel that being a mom.... whether you stay at home or not means that you are part of a group who's common interest is to better our families and society as a whole.  We make sacrifices so our kids can have a happier home, and opportunities that will make them better people.

The more I have thought about it, the more I have realized that being a mother means I have many different roles. We are not just mothers but.... nutritionists  chefs, nurses, maids, therapists, religious guides, monster hunters, professional bedtime singers, dental hygienists  stylists, costume designers, party planners, coaches/trainers/water boys, teachers, chauffeusr, animal tamers, social events coordinators,  journalists, body guards, hair stylists, storytellers, negotiators  cheerleaders, bakers, wardens, tooth fairies, Easter bunnies and Santa's Elves.  These are just a few of our roles we play.

So I guess the next time I am asked what I do...I can confidently list some of my "titles."

So Moms...what are some of the ways you answer the question, "So...what do you do?"

4 comments:

Nicole Stucki said...

I was JUST having this same conversation with Jeremy. I was telling him that out of all my sisters there is a dental hygienist, a teacher, and a soon to be nurse. Then there's me I'm a stay at home mom. I was kinda sad about it. Like you said I felt like I haven't accomplished much in the last 10 yrs. Then Jeremy says to me "you have the best job out of all of them, you get to stay home and play." Lol. Not that I play that much :) but I wouldn't trade my stay at home mom status for anything. I love being home when my kids get home from school. I love being involved in their school and getting to know the kids because in this world that is important to me. I love being able to go and do things just because. Yes of course having the extra money would be great but that's not all that matters. Taylor said the other day I wish we were rich. I replied me too but sis we are already rich. We have our health, our family, and enough for what we need. It's so hard raising your kids the older they get. It's quite the challenge. But soooo worth it! I'm also proud to say that I'm a stay at home mom :). I loved everything you said in your post and agree 100% with you!

MaMa Nelson said...

Beautifully put Amie. If all mothers could discover what you have. I get to be a Grandmother and watch my own daughters discover this great calling of Motherhood. Though I taught part time when you were growing up I hated putting on forms that I was a teacher. I was a Mom. It is the greatest thing I have ever done that was my profession. I am so proud of you and the great mother you are. It is a calling that is greater than any job you could ever have in this life. Love ya Mom

MaMa Nelson said...

Beautifully put Amie. If all mothers could discover what you have. I get to be a Grandmother and watch my own daughters discover this great calling of Motherhood. Though I taught part time when you were growing up I hated putting on forms that I was a teacher. I was a Mom. It is the greatest thing I have ever done that was my profession. I am so proud of you and the great mother you are. It is a calling that is greater than any job you could ever have in this life. Love ya Mom

Emily said...

I feel like I could repost this as my own writing! I have mentioned this to Jed so many times since we've been here and all these women are doctors/nurses/etc. It can make me feel so "lame" for lack of a better word. I saw a mormon channel movie the other day called "Having children in Faith" Elder Anderson said something to the effect that having children is not something you do if you can find the time to squeeze them in, but it is what God gave you time for. I think there will always be the moments where we get down for being stay at home moms because of the culture of society today. Thank goodness we have the gospel to put it back in perspective. And we both have pretty good husbands that appreciate what we do. :)