Sunday

Swim Team

 Avery did swim team this last month.  It was the beginner level and she improved so much.  It was more like swim lessons...only with a swim meet at the end.  She really took to it and felt very confident in the water.
 When it was time for the swim meet she was so excited and confident...not nervous at all....she must get that from Matt.  I know it was just for fun, but I found myself feeling a little nervous for her.

Avery won three first place ribbons and one second place ribbon.  In the car after the meet she was looking at her ribbons feeling pleased with herself and then said, "Mom I could of had all blue ribbons if I would have swam a little faster in my first race."  I had this moment after listening to her talk where I was trying to decide if I should take the mommy road or the coach road...my mommy took over and I tried to explain that the ribbons didn't matter.  It is just about having fun and trying to do the best we can do. But I am secretly loving that she has a competitive side and that she is not afraid to challenge herself.

This same week she had her first basketball game.  This was a whole new experience for Matt and I.  We were trying to coach her team in the midst of pure chaos and confusion.  We got killed by the other team...of all boys... who clearly had been playing since they could walk.  On the way home I had such mixed emotions. She did not really get the concept of the game and with two minutes remaining she asked to sit so someone else could play.  Why would she want to sit?  Was she not interested in the game?   Maybe she was just being a team player.  Maybe she does not really like basketball.  What if she is not any good at it?  What if she chooses not to play?  What if she is only playing because I want her to?  Am I prepared for the day she does not want to do it?  What if I am pushing her to hard and I ruin the game for her and she doesn't want to play because of me.  How can I get these kids to learn how to play the game?  I wonder if the internet has information on how to coach 6 year olds?

I was becoming completing overwhelmed in thought and strategy when I realized I was freaking out about 6 year olds!  I may have a passion for basketball and sports in general but Avery is only 6...she is just a little girl who wants to have fun and be silly and make new friends.  I need to just make it fun for her and one day if she decides not to play....I will have to be OK with that ( but secretly I am praying that never happens:)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

uuuuhhh... we're still working on putting our faces under the water. the mom included. ;)