Thursday

Food Post

So I have always enjoyed cooking...I remember being a young girl and making my own recipe for salad dressing...but once I got married I really got into cooking. Since we moved to Tetonia I realized that we would not have a lot of chances to eat out and try new food. So I decided that I would try cooking different foods at home and recreate some of my favorite restaurant foods. Fortunately Matt is a great eater and is up for trying anything. So the above picture are the fish tacos I made for dinner. It is cod fried in a batter with cabbage, cilantro, Mexican cheese, and a citrus cream sauce with homemade re fried beans on the side. I had never had fish tacos before...but I thought these were pretty good.
This was a steak sandwich I made for lunch out of leftovers and things I needed to fix before they went bad. I always have lots of leftovers after I cook and I hate throwing them away. We try to eat them for lunch but sometimes you just get tired of eating the same thing....so I like to think of ways to turn leftovers into a different meal. So I took the leftover steak that we had for tacos and left over buns and turned it into this sandwich.....the pictures not that great but it was pretty tastey. I grilled the buns and then topped it with steak, grilled onions, roasted red pepper (I roasted it on my stove top) and to top it off a homemade cheese sauce with chillies to give it a little kick and cilantro for a garnish. I knew Avery wouldn't really want one so I took some of the cheese sauce and poured it over chips and made some yummy nachos for her lunch. Anyway i know this is a lame post....but I thought I would share this little hobby of mine.

On a side note...I grew up with a Mom who taught us to be very frugal...we never ate a lot of ethnic or more expensive types of food which was very understandable and i try to be pretty frugal with our budget. But now that i am a mom I think it is so much fun to try new things with my family...even if it means spending a little more on a spice or a type of fish. The cod I used for the fish tacos was more expensive but even when you divide it up it is still cheaper to make it at home then go out and buy it at a restaurant....and the best part is you have lots of left overs:)

0 comments: