Thursday

My first cake

This was a cake that I made for a friend. It was her daughters 12th birthday and she asked me to make a cake for it. The only thing her daughter really requested was the lime green color. So I went for a lime green zebra print made out of homemade fondant. The top layer was supposed to kind of look like a cheetah print. I did it out of buttercream frosting because I was worried not everyone would love fondant. The little cheetah spots I made out of chocolate as well as the number 12 on top of the cake. The stars were made out of fondant as well. I also made the cake stand.
I didn't realize how heavy this sucker was until we went to drop it off. My arms were burning from holding it for the 15 minute drive. But it was a fun experience and I think the birthday girl liked it...so that made all the hard work worth it. I see people do this stuff on TV or online all the time and you don't realize that it is time consuming.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome cake. kudos on homemade fondant--i made it once and vowed never again--now i just use store-bought. i just made 100 cupcakes for a ward party and yeah...def time consuming...took the whole day.

Matt Berry said...

Oh I saw them they were so pretty. Before i did this I thought it would be a fun little side business...but after doing it I am not sure. It is hard, time consuming, and I am such a perfectionist when I am doing projects for other people....it just stresses me out. It never seems to turn out like I had imagined it in my head.

sus_kay@hotmail.com said...

pretty fancy!! you are way talented!

Kalia said...

ditto on the time and stress. I've been told to go there with cakes too, and I just don't think it would be good for my sanity.