Sunday

Halloween and Hailey's Birthday

So my baby turned one on the 22nd.....and we had a big combined birthday party with her cousin Morgan. We invited the family to all come for a fun little Halloween party. There were games...spooky food and funny costumes. The picture above is Hailey in her Red Queen Halloween costume. She had her first real experience with trick or treating. Her wig took the longest time to make.....it did not help that she kept pulling out the red yarn, leaving bald spots:)
Now you may be wondering .....where are the pictures of Avery in her Halloween costume.....well there are none because she decided not to go this year. So....here is what I have learned.......I love Halloween...probably more then my 4 year old and I think I might make it a bigger deal then it should be. The next thing I learned is not to make her costumes. I made her an Alice costume and it took forever...because I had to re-draw the pattern so that it would fit her. She did not want to be Alice and refused to wear it.

Halloween night we got her all dressed up and then when we went to do her hair.......she turned into the exorcist and started screaming and pulling on her hair. So we allowed her to change back into her clothes and stay home with the grandparents to help pass out candy. She was perfectly fine with that option. I on the other hand was livid. What kid does not want to go trick or treating.....dress up in a silly costume and get lots of candy....it just does not make sense. I am seriously wondering if I need to put her in therapy....just kidding....although it does cross my mind....every time she throws a tantrum.
These were all the cuties that attended the birthday party. Matt's aunt Ginni has the best costumes for her kids....they are a riot.
Morgan and Hailey by there cake. Morgan was the cutest little bumble bee and she went around the whole night pretending to sting people.
This was the birthday cake I made. It was kind of an experiment and I wanted to do more with the fondant I had made...but ran out of time. Although it did not turn out how I wanted the cake and icing tasted really good. I found some really yummy recipes.....I think I have a little crush on moist chocolate cake.....it is hard for me to resist.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad to hear avery had a hard time going ... hank has melt downs every now and then so it's good to hear that other kids do too. Your cake was awesome. how fun to make it and the costumes... nice work. I don't even attempt that.

Emily said...

Your party looked so fun! You are amazing making your kids costumes & that cake was awesome. You always impress me! Don't worry about Avery - I never liked Halloween that much growing up either. I think I turned out ok although that could be debatable!

tball said...

great glimpses of the dressed up kids...and darling little hailey! i vote w/ avery though as i've never liked halloween and am so glad my boys no longer go trick or treating (sorry). love the cake you made; you're so creative.
ps, check out cambree harbaugh on my facebook; she's ryan's age and has started decorating fancy cakes (w/ her dad as coach/partner)... you'll love to see the results.

tball said...

great glimpses of the dressed up kids...and darling little hailey! i vote w/ avery though as i've never liked halloween and am so glad my boys no longer go trick or treating (sorry). love the cake you made; you're so creative.
ps, check out cambree harbaugh on my facebook; she's ryan's age and has started decorating fancy cakes (w/ her dad as coach/partner)... you'll love to see the results.