Wednesday

Henry's Lake Part 1

This last weekend we decided to get away from it all and packed up our poles and headed to the lake.  Matt woke the girls up at 4:30 and they bounced out of bed, with matted hair and heavy sleepy eyes.  It was like Christmas morning for them...as they excitedly ran upstairs saying phrases like, "it's fishing time and lets go catch all the fishies."  It was still dark as we headed on our journey and the girls were a little confused why they had to go fishing at night while it was still dark.  As we got to the lake the sun had started coming up and I had forgot about the fishing and wanted to capture this transformation with my camera. (I am still trying to figure it out)
 
 There is something so beautiful about being up before the sun.  I admit I hardly ever do that but when I am out in nature it is so worth it. I love seeing the change that happens as the sun starts to rise.   The lake was cold and dark with frost and ice clinging to the rocks and trees and as the sun started to rise and spread its colors of warmth the lake started to change.  The dark black started to change to hues of orange, brown and golds.  The frost began to melt and drip from the flowers and I sat there in the middle of it, just watching it all happen.














 There was something so artistic about how this descended into the lake. I loved the tangle of wire and melting ice. There were a few times I was scolded by Matt to put the camera away and help our freezing children.

 Mini marshmallows...a staple in our fishing escapade.
 10 years ago Matt and I had our first day at this lake.  It was so fun being able to bring our girls back here and have them enjoy it.  They loved hearing the story of our date and giggled when I told them about Daddy holding my hand for the first time.



We can proudly report that everyone caught a fish...except for me:(
 
Matt introduced me to "beer can" fishing on our first date.  We wrap the line around the can with a rock on it and when the fish bites the can is knocked over.  I like this technique because it allows me to cuddle up in a warm blanket and watch my kidos.  My girls like a more hands on approach and would rather cast out and reel in.
The water was so clear and it felt so good to be out of the hustle and bustle and leave all the stress at home.  Now I know why men become so addicted to fishing!

0 comments: